Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Crack the Whip

This post was written on Wednesday 5th January

My first day back at work after Christmas was very welcoming. As much as I appreciated the Christmas break more this year because I didn’t have the Summer break I’m used to, going back to work was bizarrely cursive. It was great to see my work mates again and get stuck back into doing work I enjoy. I’ll admit that I did check up on the office a few times during the Christmas break (only about once a day) to see if anything was new. I was left quite disappointed when I realised that there was, in fact, nothing new, because everyone was on holiday. In just 6 months at work I can see how as you get older you really do end up living effectively two lives…

I’ve come up with a few new years resolutions:

  1. The first is to go inter-railing. I see this summer as my last summer as a free man. By next summer I will have graduated (fingers crossed) and be looking for a job. And then once you’re in a job, that’s it mate. Say goodbye to taking months off to “find yourself” and “see the world”. That’s what university is for. If you leave university without knowing who you are, well it’s too late! Ok, so I may be being a bit melodramatic, but there’s an ounce of truth in there. The matter of the fact is that this summer is the last time I’ll get to take a month or more off to travel for some time. And while I’ve got the money, no wife, no kids or a mortgage, it’s got to happen!
  2. Second is to exercise more. Do more climbing, running, weights and stuff. This is pretty much the most obvious new years resolution you can have, but hey, I have wool and go baaaaaa.
  3. And finally be true to myself. I know it sounds stupid, but I don’t want to be someone I’m not. I’ve spend a long time in the past not being happy with who I am, and in the last year or two I’ve realised that that’s rubbish. I like who I am, and I don’t ever want to be someone I’m not. Don’t be pressured into doing something that’s against who you are, and don’t give up striving who you want to be. That’s what 2011 is all about for me.
  • Happiness. 9 out of 10
  • Tiredness. 1 out of 5
  • Free Time. 4.5 out of 5
  • Last Meal. Rice. It’s all I could find :S
  • Song of the day. Paolo Nutini – Loving You
  • Thought for the day. “Got alot of love to give - but trust is a must n i'm tight like the grinch with it; don't take it personal, i expect to be let down so prepare for the hurt n all. If ya real, you can see thru tha skills - and recognise that the child in me still feels. are you worth it? its not about being perfect, just catch when i fall and i'll always return it.” -  Thanks Baz :)
  • What I’m Doing Now. Clearing my head after a long first day at work.

No comments: