Saturday, July 18, 2009

Nostalgia ensues

I used to think that nostalgia was a type of nausea that you got sometimes. It’s an interesting word. In the last week I think I’ve found the real meaning of nostalgia: remembering fragments of the past that give your current situation or direction a new meaning or purpose. A bit deep I know, but there’s nothing like a bit of nausea to give you a new perspective.

On Tuesday me and Lauren went climbing in Mile End, now a common event. It’s pretty much my only exercise (except Guilfest) nowadays. We’ve also got into the habit of exchanging money for chips at the local fish & chip shop  (just to counter all the exercise we’ve just done). In the evening I met up with Matthew. Wow, now that was a blast from the past. We went to a pub with loads of his mates and caught up on everything we’d missed since our last encounter at Christmas. I think he’s one of my friends who’s definitely changed in the last year. I find that comforting because I think I’ve changed too and we then have so much more to talk about. I’ve also managed to coerce him onto the boat trip for a few days which will be banter.

On Wednesday I did something you should never do, go back to my sixth form college. I’d been back before, but this time was different, it was the last time I’d return. Met up with Ben & Kevin at the station and we walked to school like the good old days. Ben & Kevin are two of my friends who have definitely not changed in the last year, which I’m not sure if I find comforting or difficult. It’s comforting because I know what to expect, but at the same time there’s nothing new.

We saw our old form tutor, Mr Sims, and our old, old form tutor, Mr Brown. It was great to catch up and talk about how the school has changed since becoming an Academy, a lot worse apparently.

Victoria invited mum, dad and I to dinner which was very welcome and I got a peak at Victoria’s music collection ^_^ She also had ample supplies of cider for which I am very grateful :)

I have to complain about mobile phones at some point, but I’ll save that for next time. Speak to you all soon, bye!

  • Happiness.8.5 out of 10
  • Tiredness. 3 out of 5
  • Last Meal. Full English Breakfast at a service station in Preston
  • Song of the day. The King Blues – I Got Love
  • Thought for the day. “Look! Black sheep… oh, their cows…” (Mum in the car)
  • What I’m Doing Now. Travelling to Scotland in the car to see my cousins who I haven’t seen literally in years. More nostalgia will ensue…

PS come back tomorrow for more mash & cider

1 comment:

barpness said...

Glad you enjoyed it - I did too. Good to blow the dust of my CD's!