Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Curious Incident of the Custom Timetable

Last week when I got my timetable, it looked very crowded and busy. It turned out that there were lots of lectures listed that I didn't have to attend because I was in a different group or in the higher maths set. Additionally, not every lecture happens every week, and every week the room, academic or time of the lecture could change. The result was a very confusing timetable.
So I thought it would be a good idea to download the timetable from the Engineering page and edit it so it only had the lectures I had. The result was a timetable half the size that was a lot easier to read.
Last night, after a hard morning of lectures and an afternoon of catching up on things, I realised that I had actually missed a lecture. The reason for this was that I had forgot ot put this particular lecture, on Engineering Design, on my 'Custom Timetable'. Therefore, as far as I was concerned, I didn't have it. So I was faced with the fact that, on my first day, I had missed a lecture already.
But, luckily the lecture was repeated today at 1pm. It had the same name, room and lecturer so I assumed it would be the same one. So all I had to do was go along to this lecture instead. Sorted.
When I get there, the lecturer said that the lecture was optional and that today we would be leaning the basics of using Word. She then proceeded to direct us all to an online tutorial on how to use Word. The tutorial starte with "this is an icon, this is the taskbar, this is the start button, ..."
Needless to say I didn't stick around. Not only was the lecture optional and very, very basic. But the whole lecture was going through online tutorials that I could choose to complete in my own time, if at all.
Looks like I chose a good lecture to miss!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You jammie git! If that was me it would have been so important and would not of been repeated! Send some of your luck my way please! x