Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Back – Bigger & Better Than Ever!

So I arrived in Guildford last Thursday evening and since then I haven’t stopped.

One of my latest endeavours is Technical Director of MadTV. MadTV is a student-run news team who produce a regular student news program to be distributed online. It’s a very new team, only setup last year, and still finding its way in terms of schedule and its place in the union media channel. MadTV’s latest challenge is to produce a health & safety video for the fresher’s angels briefing. Without going into a sub-explanation on what fresher’s angels are, they are essentially students who have offered to help fresher’s move in to their accommodation on moving in day by carrying boxes, directing traffic and so on.

On Sunday we filmed the footage we needed for the video using a very nice camera hired from the Media Labs. I then took that home and have been slowly editing it for the last day. It’s looking good and it’s great to be learning how to use a new editing package at the same time. Oh, did I mention the briefing is on Friday? And there will be 230 people there to watch it. Forget the premiere at my birthday party, this is it: Filmed, edited and shown in only 6 days. Bring it on!

As it happens I’m also a fresher’s angel and have to attend the briefing despite having made the video! I think that’s funny.

What else have I been doing? As if that wasn’t enough. Well besides from unpacking (which I assure you is done… mostly) I’ve been visiting other people’s houses. Turns out most of the people I know are this side of campus anyway, so I’m really quid’s in on the whole situation.

I’ve also realised that a 20 minute walk to university from my house is a 5 minute cycle ride, love it. Haven’t been on my bike in ages, and it’s great to be on it again.

It’s great to be back one year later. I feel so much more focused now, I know what to expect and I’m still pushing my boundaries in terms of the MadTV video and some of the things I’m organising with Stage Crew for fresher’s week. Busy. Yes. But I wouldn’t want it any other way…

  • Happiness. 10 out of 10 (couldn’t be happier)
  • Tiredness. 5 out of 5
  • Last Meal. Spaghetti on toast
  • Song of the day. Taylor Swift – Love Story
  • Thought for the day. If I’m this busy now, what about when I start lectures again?
  • What I’m Doing Now. Editing the H&S video and looking forward to another very busy day tomorrow. Might get quieter after that… depending on how tomorrow goes…

No comments: