Thursday, August 6, 2009

This, that and the river…

AKA “Making the most of it”

I can’t say that I’m thrilled to be home, but it’s been good to kick back and let life catch me up. Before I left for the boat trip these two weeks between trips looked like they we’re going to be a slog. With nothing planned and most of my friends working, busy or away, it could have dragged on like a snail race. But I quickly realised that there was plenty to keep me occupied even without going out. In fact, it could prove an invaluable time to get all those things done I was going to do over summer, but just haven’t had the time to. As it turns out, that is not the case. Like any week I seem to have free at the moment, it quickly fills up with this and that, then before I know it it’s Friday and despite having a great time, I still haven’t done any of those things I really should do.

But here’s the thing. If I’m invited somewhere or see something I want to do, I’ll do it. It’s part of the new me who tries to seize as many opportunities as he can. However, it means that those things I know can “wait until next week”, will. But, I know myself well enough to know that if it needs to be done, it will; so I’m not to worried about them not being done. I would much prefer to get to October and know that I had the best summer I could, than come October be wondering why it was I spent another summer sitting in my room working really hard on things that didn’t really matter. This is the last chance I’ll have in a long time to just kick back, relax and enjoy being who I want to be. And I’m not going to let my workaholic self take that away from me.

So I’ve been busy since my last post. Me and James have finally managed to spend some time together, so we went down to Battersea Park on Sunday for a walk and a catch up on life. We also went swimming on Monday morning and I realised that I don’t have the stamina I used to. But then, that’s got to be the problem with climbing, it focuses on core strength more than stamina.

On Tuesday I met up with the old gang, all of them, for the first time in almost a year. We went to see “Taking of Pelham 123” in the cinema and bumped into an old friend from sixth form, which was a great surprise.

Yesterday I was on the boat, again, this time for the adventure to top them all: Going along the River Thames. The last time the boat came down was 13 years ago when I was only six years old. All I remember is being horrified of the boat sinking, but this time I could enjoy all of the sights of London from the Thames. It’s something amazing to take in all the greatest landmarks in the space of only a couple hours, and it makes you appreciate just how tightly packed London really is. I can’t really describe it in all the detail it deserves, but that’s why I took plenty of pictures.

Looking forward, I can see a couple days working this week, and then going shopping on Sunday which I’m trying not to get too excited about. And then strangely enough next week has already got pretty full; with Becky coming down for the weekend, Barry’s birthday and a trip to the Theatre, all looks set to be another fun week :D

  • Happiness. 7.5 out of 10
  • Tiredness. 1.5 out of 5
  • Last Meal. Frosted flakes for breakfast, just about to have lunch
  • Song of the day. Al Green – Let's Stay Together (from some film I can’t remember the name of… not Pulp Fiction)
  • Thought for the day. The only way I’d go to a Boyzone concert is if I was paid to attend… so here I go!
  • What I’m Doing Now. Going to have lunch, then get ready for another day working for the Tote.

No comments: