Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Don’t Wear Blue!

I’m on a roll! The maths lecturer for my course this year can often go very quickly through examples in lectures. Trying to follow his logic and write it all down often becomes a two man job, shame there’s only one brain in this head. But today, covering the subject of Z-Transforms (which seem to be the discrete function equivalent of Laplace Transform), I followed every last note and suffix! For those of you who are thinking “but how?” well I can tell you the 3 secrets to being a good student:

  1. Sleep! A regular sleep pattern does you a world of good. 8 hours a day minimum! That doesn’t mean start getting ready for bed at the 8 hour mark, it means be in bed, preferably asleep. I know as much as anyone their aren’t enough hours in the day to do everything, but believe me, those hours become so much more productive if you go to bed early.
  2. Be prepared. This is hard to quantify. For me, being prepared is spending 10 minutes the night before decided what work I want to do the following day. That alone gives me a mental checklist that I can follow throughout the day. Once again, it’s all about making the most out of the time you have.
  3. Doing work. I know it seems trivial, but if a lecturer asks you to look at a problem before the next lecture, then do it. I’m as guilty as the next guy for not doing this, but if you make sure to sleep and prepare then you’re far more likely to actually do it.

I’m not trying to get all high and mighty, I’m only hoping that someone out there will see this and go: I can better my chances of getting a good mark with pretty much no extra effort, I just need to be focused.

Well, I started writing this to say what a great day I had in labs messing around with Chroma Keying, but it’s kinda not turned out that way… ahh well :o)

  • Happiness. 9 out of 10
  • Tiredness. 1 out of 5
  • Workload. 8 out of 10
  • Last Meal. Not as exciting as my next meal: BEEF BOURGUIGNON!
  • Song of the day. Sara Bareilles – Love Song
  • Thought for the day. “The Mac won’t do two things at once”
  • What I’m Doing Now. Cooking BEEF BOURGUIGNON mmm yea!

2 comments:

Ankur Banerjee said...

Gourley?

Charles said...

no :( i wish, Gourley is amazing! We have Jonathan Deane (http://personal.maths.surrey.ac.uk/st/J.Deane/) in the second year...