Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The times…

Be careful. This one’s from the heart, not the brain.

This is the last week of lectures. I can’t actually believe it. It seems like only yesterday when I moved into my empty room for the first time.

In the weeks leading up to university I hadn’t thought about it. It was only as much as “Yea, I’m going to university in 2 weeks”. Never did I truly think about what it would be like to actually be at university. It’s probably because nothing can prepare you for it. It’s not life as you know it. I used to live at home, have my meals cooked for me, have clothes washed for me, went to school at the same time every morning and met friends when I’d arranged. At university it’s so different.

Being a “Fresher” is almost over. Next year, I’ll still feel like a fresher, I’ll probably even feel like a six-former (Do you ever feel like an adult?). Why does life have to move so fast? My only regret this year is that it’s already over. If only it could go slower so I could really soak up the wonderful times. The times when I met new friends and felt welcome. The first time when I went to Rubix and felt like a real student. The first stage crew meeting when I was really excited to learn new things. The fresher’s fair where I felt daunted by the people, but felt secure in the company I had. The times I’m walking around campus, see someone I know and feel included. The long talks with housemates where I learn about feelings and how other people see the world. The times I went to lectures and fell asleep because I had stayed up until 4am with Stage Crew. Being elected as VEO and feeling I’ve accomplished something. Getting a house and feeling like an adult. Being mentioned in other people’s conversions and feeling part of the group. For the first time in my life, feeling completely and fully happy with where I was and who I was with. My housemates this year: Sophie, Lauren and Mariana, have been the most amazing people I’ve ever had the pleasure of spending time with and I know that the times we’ve spent together will be remembered for years and years to come. May we always be friends.

If university was ever this inspiring, no wonder I couldn’t imagine what it would be like. I’ve loved it. And not just a little. It’s been the best times I’ve ever had.

How can I be so happy living in a small, dingy room, studying a course that is the hardest and most challenging work I’ve ever done? Because I’m included, I’m valued, I have my place and I get the best feelings of belonging when I need them most.

Life isn’t about where you live or how hard you work. It’s about the people you meet along the way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arhhhhhhhhhhhhh Charlie..... Its only the end of the 1st year, you have so much more to come!!! Cheer up, keep smiling! Learn from the past, plan for the future and live for the here and now! Keep looking forwards... The scary thing is it can get even better! Image that! I love you x

Charles said...

So, do you ever feel like an adult?

Anonymous said...

No

Anonymous said...

Some days I do... Some days I dont!Im caught between adolescence and adulthood... I only really feel it when I pay adult prices on things and you cant be an adult if your a student! Your identity! STUDENT!