Saturday, October 4, 2008

And Breath Out...

Sorry about the lack of a post yesterday, but it has been a very, vey busy few days.
I started a key part of my course on Thursday afternoon. They are called LABS and I ahve them for 3 hours on a thursday and another 3 on a friday. Each week we are given an experiment to try and we have to do prep, keep logs, perform the experiment, write up, conclude and comment for each experiment. The first two (ie this week and next week) are just an introduction to using the equipment and the process of labs. So far labs is by far the most difficult thing I've had to do, so I need to make sure I do plenty of prep for each week's labs to avoid being left behind.
The other big thing to happen over the last two days has been stage crew. I said that I had joined up and I helped out with my first gig on friday. I helped set up the venue: lighting, sound desk and inflatable decorations as well as learning some of the technical jargon and where things are kept. When the gig started I ran the lights on the disco floor for the whole night. Basically, Rubix (the venue) has 20 or so sets of lights for the dance floor to create a clud/disco atmosphere. I ran the lights, meaning I flicked them on and off, changed colours, movements, ect. using a big deck. It was the most fun i've had in a long time. Being able to choose the right lights and effects for a particular track or chorus was great. It was also great fun when I got oppurtunities to use the strobe lighting to fit in with the music. When I used the strobes, I blacked-out the rest of the lights to give a much cooler effect.
I spent from 10pm to 3am on the lighting desk. Time went so fast because it was just so much fun. At 3am the venue closed and I helped pack down, which involves putting everything away.
Then today Stage Crew had a training day. We had lots of Health & Safety talks and introductions to the equipment. The way Stage Crew works is we meet up every monday for everyone to put their names down for gigs happening that week and also to dicuss any thing that everyone needs to know. Stage Crew don't get paid, but they do get free entry into Rubix (the union nightclub) for any gig, not just ones your helping out with. Obviously you have to remain an active member or you will be taken off the team. I won't get my permanent Stage Crew card until christmas, to ensure that I stick around that long, but I won't be going anywhere anytime soon, there's just so much to learn and do. Until christmas I've got a temporary card.
So, to summize: Lectures getting a bit harder (well LABS are). Stage Crew is fantastic. Felling good. Busy. Tired.

No comments: