Thursday, August 25, 2011

InterRail Post #2: Ice Cream for dinner? I think so!

Sophie here, writing in the only blog I religiously read. My involvement in the trip was very on and off for a while, I was unsure whether I could make enough money to go on the trip and not be severely lacking funds for my final year of Uni. Luckily I did make enough money, by working 5 jobs and curbing my spending (well other than trips to the theatre of course which are an absolute essential). Charles and I set about planning in February and since about April our weekly Skype conversations have been solely about the trip.

We arrived in Copenhagen on Monday 22nd August, flying in from Heathrow Terminal 5 and took the very clean and spacious metro to our ‘Sleep in Heaven’ hostel. We went round exploring the town that evening, ending up having a Scandinavian buffet for dinner on Stroget, the main shopping street. The past few days have been full of Amusement parks, meeting up with my Danish friend Julie, canal tours and Ice cream for dinner. Tomorrow we will hopefully hire some bikes and explore the botanical gardens and Christiania, the free town, before getting up early on Saturday to head to our second stop on the InterRail trip, Hamburg.

DSC01769 

(A fountain in the middle of Stroget)

DSC01770

(Julie and I with a pretty Elephant in town square)

DSC01798

(Charles and I outside the museum we didn’t go in)

DSC01802

(Charles being a very creepy toy vendor in the museum we did go on)

DSC01879

(Ice cream! Need I say more!)

DSC01844 

(Tivoli gardens, amusement park in the heart of Copenhagen)

DSC01774

(Nyhavn, touristy spot and home of fairytale writer Hans Christen Anderson)

DSC01874

(Most well known character from a story by said author)

 

5 interesting things Charles and I have learnt about Copenhagen:

1. You have to wait for the little green man to cross a road, even if no cars are coming (something us Londoners have no patience for).

2. Danish Ice cream comes in awesome flavours like ‘Kinder Surprise’ and ‘Muffin’

3. Everything is really expensive (even bananas)

4. It’s a very clean city (with even the homeless collecting bottles off the street to claim money back from the recycling bins)

5. Words are pronounced very very differently to how they are spelt (apparently you drop every third random letter)

 

Sophie

x

1 comment:

Big Sis said...

Thanks Sophie, GR8 post! Safe onwards travels to u and my baby Bro! x