Saturday, December 4, 2010

Chocs away!

Goodbye Lugano and one of the best months of my life! Never have I worked so hard and had so much fun before. Lots of food (especially pizza) and lots of Feldschlösschen!

Due to the excessive quantities of chocolate purchased in the last week, the journey back caused a bit of a kerfuffle. Trying to ‘sneak’ 8 kilos of Swiss chocolate into my hand luggage didn’t go a miss!

DSCF4631

On the first plane ‘hand luggage’ is put in the hold because the overhead lockers are too small. So I placed my bag on the trolley outside the plane and didn’t think anything of it. The just before take off one of the baggage handlers came onto the plane and walked straight to my seat (which was luckily right at the front) and asked if I was Mr. Gray. He then proceeded to show me a ticket with the weight of my bag printed on it… it was 18kg! Now I know my bag was heavy, but that’s incredible! Considering that the weight limit for hand baggage is 8kg, I didn’t really have a leg to stand on. The baggage man continued to explain that my bag was not only heavy, but a whole 10kg over the allowed limit. His advice was that on my second flight, i shouldn’t put my bag in the overhead bin, but put it under my seat. That sounds very reasonable, anything to avoid having to wait ages to collect my bag at the reclaim belt. So the flight continued and we landed in Zurich.

Then we got to the gate at Zurich and the lady said my baggage was too big to get on the plane! She didn’t even weigh it! Since I flew out over a month ago I’ve always used this suitcase. And I knew full well that it was slightly too big for hand baggage, but it had never been questioned until now. So they took my bag away and put it in the hold, still wheeling it along completely oblivious to it’s excessive weight. Sometimes in life you just have to laugh, and it’s certainly true that all my work colleagues enjoyed witnessing my foibles :)

So I’ve return to a snowy and cold Guildford, back with my housemates and friends. It’s going to be weird going back to Basingstoke on Monday…

Lots to look forward to in the coming weeks, next weekend it’s the Gray family Christmas dinner in Scotland, and then a week later I’m going to finally see my sister for the first time in months and months! Let the good times roll…

  • Happiness. 8 out of 10
  • Tiredness. 2.5 out of 5
  • Free Time. 0.5 out of 5
  • Last Meal. Fish and chips (back in the UK, baby!)
  • Song of the day. Nelly – Just a Dream
  • Thought for the day. it’s good to be home
  • What I’m Doing Now. organising a new years party :D

PS pictures from Switzerland

No comments: