Sunday, May 31, 2009

Gotta Get Dat

That was amazing! The last few days have been exceptionally manic, but in return I have had a brilliant time, met some new friends and partied hard! For the last 3 days of term the Students Union put on a show every night. For me as a member of crew that means a lot of work, little sleep and lots of dancing and drinking. This is true.

I’m going to try and cover these few days in detail when I’ve actually got a brain that functions, so for now I’ll tell you how the last night happened.

The union (Rubix) had Radio 1 DJ Zane Lowe playing. I’d heard things about him before, but never seen him live. He was fantastic. He is so comfortable with the beats and knows how to create energy.

For Friday I was actually Stage Crewing, but I managed to take plenty of breaks as well. Once doors opened we had a band on stage, Geneva. Geneva are a covers band and played some classics such as Mr Brightside and Song 2. For this part I was operating the pit camera. I usually love operating the pit cam and last night was no exception. However, because the band started playing at 10:30pm, there was no-one in Rubix. We had to fill the dance floor with a dozen staff so the band weren’t playing to no-one.

After the band had played we had to changeover the stage to Zane Lowe’s DJ rig. This took about 20 minutes. The final part of the night was 3D disco. This basically consisted of 2 geeks on stage playing rubbish songs while they showed really boring ‘3D’ clips on the projectors and plasmas around the union. Before they came on we had to hand out 3D glasses to people, which was good fun.

Rest assured this is only the briefest of explanations of what’s been going on in the last week, but it’s taken me long enough to write this much so I’ll try my hand at more later…

  • Happiness: 8/10
  • Tiredness: 6/10 (despite only having 5 hours sleep in the last 65 hours)
  • Last meal: Cheesy chips!
  • Song of the day: Black Eyed Peas – Boom Boom Pow
  • Thought for the day: When will it hit me that I’m leaving?!

No comments: