Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The A in Q&A

Here I will answer 6 questions in total, lets get going!

What has been the most memorable moment for you since you started uni?

There have been so many it’s hard to pick just one. The weekend away with climbing club was probably one of the first big memories after the chaos of fresher’s week. I’m so close to giving the cop-out answer and saying that it was the combination of all the small things that have happened that have really made this a special time for me. However, that would be a cop out so I'll have to get my thinking cap on. OK, I’ve got one. The weekend I spent with stage crew preparing for “Sunday Night Live” this is because so much happened that weekend. I learnt a lot, but it was also the first gig I did as Video Equipment Officer, so I was calling the shots and got to make the video decisions. It was great fun!

Do you miss home?

Can I make this a one word answer? No. Sorry, but it’s just so great to be with people who I’m on the same level with and who are at the time time in their lives. People I can share my thoughts with and who have the time to spend time with me. Don’t get me wrong, its great to be home. Mum, dad and James are really great to me, but I think you understand that I feel in my element at university.

What have you learnt in your time at Stage Crew?

Stage crew is a brilliant sandbox to ask questions and learn by doing. All you need to do is sign up for a gig and then you can get involved in what you want. I’ve learnt a lot about how to set up a sound and lighting rig, how sound can (and has to) be changed before it is heard by the audience (changing levels of different instruments and singers, adding echo and reverberation), using lights to effectively re-enforce what is happening on stage. Then there’s all the video stuff: talking to camera operators, live mixing, setting up cameras and plasmas and generally how to organise filming a gig or event professionally.

What on earth are you going to do for 4 months over summer?

Tell me about it! The plan is:

  • May – Party time! Exams are over and the poppers come out.
  • June – After exams I have some things I’ve been asked to do that I’ll get on with for a few weeks.
  • July – Working backstage at Guilfest, Guildford’s largest music festival. Then towards the end of the month, I start boating.
  • August – The plan is to go on the boat for a few weeks with friends.
  • September – Haven’t thought that far ahead yet…

If you had to pick three words to describe your time at uni, what would they be?

different, exciting, comforting

How do you feel you have changed as a person since leaving home and starting uni?

I ‘go with the flow’ a lot more. I’m more comfortable when meeting new people. I can cook more than just beans on toast!

-End-

Hopefully this has been interesting. Sorry it took so long to post the replies, I’ve been quite busy with revision recently!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Well Charlie all sounds GR8! Roll on September I say!